Analog Diary: The Final Day

I'm sad to say that today was my final day.

The day started off as normal - I logged onto my computer and continued programming from the previous day. The feeling soon vanished when my mentor came up to me, reminding me, "Today's the last day!" At that point it sank in that it really was my final day working at Analog.

Towards the end of the day, my two mentors took me to an office to discuss my experience working here. I could have went on forever about how much these two weeks have made such a positive impact on my life. I've realised my strengths, I've realised what it takes to be an engineer, my confidence has grown, and most importantly, I've found a new passion.

Now I feel like I have a clearer vision of my path for the future, and that I have a sense of direction in where I am going. This experience has given me the chance to consider a lot about what kind of person I am and with that, what career would suit me best. Trying engineering hands-on shows you if you are a person who thinks logically, if you are a practical person and what I've learned most, if you are a patient and dedicated person. If I'm honest, had I not been given this opportunity, engineering or this area of science in general would have never crossed my mind.

Before working at Analog, I was a very reserved person. I would hold myself back a lot on what I wanted to say. Although I am (and probably always will be) a shy person, I feel a lot more comfortable with giving my input now. When my coworkers were stuck on what to do when they were helping me with my projects, they would always tell me, "If you think you have an idea, say it." One day my suggestion actually worked, and I realised that even if your idea is completely off, you learn from your mistake and you keep trying until eventually it just comes to you. I found throughout my two weeks, the more I started giving my opinion, the more I started to become comfortable with my own voice.

I've also become a more independent person. I've really gotten a flavour of what it's like to be a working adult. I didn't even know how the bus timetable worked or how to ask for a bus ticket before these two weeks! How sad is that! I've learned how to solve problems myself by, really, just throwing myself into the situation. I also felt more motivated to use my time wisely when I came home. The first few days working, I came home and just lay in bed, exhausted. But soon enough I realised that I only have so much time after work before I have to sleep to wake up early the next day, I might as well spend it doing something worthwhile. I feel a lot more productive after this experience.

I genuinely feel so lucky that of all companies, I was placed in Analog. I couldn't have asked for more wonderful people to work with during my time there. Everyone was so kind, helpful and some took some of their time just to help me with my projects. They all told me to just come find them at their desk if I ever needed help. The people I sat with at lunch always made me laugh and were always so chatty - they would always brighten my day at work.

At the end of my final day, my two mentors gave me a card with such lovely messages inside it and a very generous gift. They said they would ask if I could come back to work in Analog for my work placement in TY, and I was allowed! We are planning to work on the Young Scientist programme during my time there.

I didn't know that such a short time span of two weeks could make such a difference in my life. I will miss Analog, I will miss my routine that I have gotten used to, and I will definitely miss the people. But, there's no reason to get too upset, because I'm so happy to say I'll be back again!

Thank you, Teen Turn, for providing me with this amazing experience. And thank you, Analog, for being so enthusiastic and helpful towards me. This experience has definitely been the launcher to my newfound interest in science.

-Jennifer

Comments

  1. Hey Jennifer - we've an arrangement to cover the application costs of Teen-Turn Young Scientist submissions. Your school representative Eileen will have more details.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Analog Diary: Day 7

Analog Diary: Day 6